Wednesday 15 August 2007

A change is as good as a rest !!

Well whoever thought up that saying has never been on holiday with my family!! We always have very busy, active holidays...but oh boy do we enjoy ourselves.




We stayed at a lovely place in Bransgore and had a 2 bedroom chalet.... guess who , being the only female in the group got to sleep on a matress on the floor and even that wasn't sacred!!





This is my bed as soon as it was made!! It's a dog's life!! Poor old Archie really doesn/t like going away on holiday, he seems to think that he is going to be left with another family and hardly ate all week. When we were packing up the car to come home, he sat in the car and wouldn't budge, .... just to make sure that we didn't forget him!

My family have always been keen on fishing, a sport that I only recently took up. I have to say that I found it upsettling when I was younger and saw the fishermen killing the fish they had caught so that they could take them home to eat them. I am however pleased to say that I only catch them, photgraph them and throw them back. This was the first big fish I caught, not only was it my first, but it was also my first on a proper rod and reel. I usually fish with a pole and just catch tiddlers.



We found a lovely place called Mudeford Quay where we took the boys crabbing for the first time! Poor little things, they have been sooooo deprived all their lives. We did catch lots of crabs though and the place was absolutely beautiful. We were very lucky with the weather and only had one day of torrential rain. On the Friday before we returned home I managed to book the ' men' on a mackerel fishing trip for 2 hours. Again the weather was fantastic, and having put up with 4 males (3 human.... well allegedly and one doggy) all week, I was looking forward to a couple of hours peace and quiet to read and /or knit on the quay side. Unfortunately they only caught 3 fish on the whole boat but the boys said they enjoyed it anyway. Our trip home was much better than our outward trip which took us a whopping 71/2 hours to get there....to put this into contest it only took 2 1/2 to get back!

I am fairly ashamed to say that I was soooo busy that I didn't really have much time for knitting on holiday. I did start on the monkey's but somehow managed to mess them up ...so moved onto something simpler and am now knitting the Christmas present socks for Helen, which I have to say are looking very good but for obvious reasons I can't post a pic!! I will however show you a pic of my lovely parcels that arrived this weekI also received a lovely skein winder which I had ordered from ebay and which works wonderfully and stops the family moaning about having to lend me their arms for 10 mins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam

Where did you get the skein winder from and does it work?
What a fabulous idea!

Also... 'Favorite Socks' is wonderful... I hope you're liking it... I'm currently doing the embossed leaf socks with the August club wool... working well despite the colour extremes...

best wishes
Gina

Sam said...

Hi Gina, Thank you so much for your comment ... I have replied to most of your questions with an email but I had an after thought ... which I will also email to you which is .... if you can, buy the wool winder that has the mechanism enclosed as I did not pull the arm out far enough and the wool got caught up!! I love the book but need to pick a pattern !